The Open Hearts Youth Shelter is a voluntary,
short-term residential emergency shelter and crisis intervention service for youth ages 10-17 years old who have run away from home, have been pushed out of their homes, are homeless or who are acting out and at-risk for abuse.
Open Hearts also provides non-residential alternatives for parent(s), legal guardian(s) and legal custodians who need help with youth behavior problems. All services are FREE.
Open Hearts is open 7 days a week, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, to accept youth and we provide transportation for youth who are in need of a ride to safety. The shelter is a family-style residence with divided sleeping facilities for
male and female guests. In community areas, youth share meals, television and computer privileges, and recreation and laundry facilities. A trained staff of counselors, advocates and youth workers spends individual, focused time with residents to help them work through the problems they face. Youth receive food, shelter, health screenings, education assistance, employment assistance as well as group, family and individual counseling, case management and after care services.
We do not accept children for residency who fall into these categories:
• Severely disturbed/psychotic, having a history which renders them violent and assaultive
• Actively suicidal
• History of arson or pyromania
• Under the influence of illegal drugs or alcohol
• Known developmental problems which would impair reasonable functioning within the structure of a "home" environment
• Outstanding custody orders
• Active placements from mental institutions, correctional institutions, or halfway houses
We are located in a residential neighborhood in Lithonia/Stone Mountain border and we can provide transportation to youth anywhere in the Atlanta metro area.
MAKE A REFERRAL HERE
24 Hour Emergency Line
Your Help is Needed!
View our Wishlist to donate or Volunteer/Intern with us.